Mick Haywood is auctions manager at Auction House South East Wales. He is based in Newport. This interview was undertaken by The South Wales Argus.
1. How did you get into your current job?
I was referred by a friend, made contact with the director and went from there.
2. What’s the best bit?
The variety of places I go and the nice people you get to meet (most of the time).
3. What was your first Saturday job?
I worked in Woolworths.
4. Describe your ideal job?
That would have to be a art-time ski instructor.
5. What motivates you?
Getting the right results for buyers and sellers.
6. And what irritates you?
People letting you down – not turning up for appointments.
7. Who do you most admire in business and why?
Anyone who has built a successful business up from scratch.
8. What was the last book you read and what did you think?
The British Empire – fascinating how we once ruled 25 per cent of the world’s population.
9. What do you do to relax?
Long walks with the dog, cooking, golf and just pottering around the garden.
10. What dreams are you still fulfil?
Winning the lottery and to ski faster than my children.
11. What was the last film you saw at the cinema?
50 Shades of Grey – could have been so much better…
12. Favourite food and place to eat it?
Shell fish at Odettes in London.
13. What car do you drive?
14. What’s in your car’s CD player at the moment?
Some 70s number one’s compilation.
15. What’s your favourite TV programme?
Saturday Kitchen, always enjoy relaxing on Saturday mornings and watching James Martin.
16. Do you tweet? If so, how can we follow you? If not, why?
We tweet as a business – follow us on @auctionhouseSEW
17. If you were an animal, what would you be?
The house dog, life of luxury…
18. Proudest moment?
Obviously the birth of my children.
19. And most embarrassing?
Getting bitten by a dog on a viewing.
20. What advice would you give to someone wanting to be successful in your line of work?
Start early, finish late and do exactly what you say you are going to do.